January 8, 2019
We had a great time with family at Christmas and many laughs were had by all. He had surgery for a macular hole in his left eye which was successful although complete healing could take several months. We have been enjoying our extended stay in Canada while Dave deals with the situation with his eye. We see this as a positive thing because it allowed us to stay in Canada a little longer 😊and it made it easier to change the way we do some things in Rwanda.
Highlights from 2018
As 2018 closes and we look ahead to 2019, we have much for which we are thankful.
We are very grateful for the awesome privilege of being God’s instrument which He constantly tunes and retunes and uses for His glory.
As you know, we have recently (in the last year) started a not-for-profit organization which is designed to help us continue our work in Rwanda considering Dave’s retirement from Calvary Chapel. Bridges Beyond Ministries International is now officially registered as a Canadian Charity.
A new National Executive was put in place in ADEPR for a 5-year term. ADEPR is the denomination with which we work while in Rwanda and we look forward to working with this executive.
One area of which we are so privileged to be a part is the national strategy for reaching and discipling the children using Football (Soccer).
- Jean Paul is the National Team Leader for this ministry.
- Seventy-five coaches/missionaries have been trained in teaching football as well as teaching the children about Jesus Christ.
- Currently, this ministry is active in 25 communities around Rwanda with 2,500 boys and girls involved (ages 7-14).
- In August they held the first national championship which was a huge success and surpassed anything Ambassadors Football has done to date.
- Dave has been appointed as a member of Ambassadors Football Global Board of Directors with the responsibility of overseeing the leadership in Rwanda.
While in Canada:
- Lynn has enjoyed connecting with the women in Calvary Chapel, mentoring, pastoral ministry, and just appreciating having coffee with them.
- At the North American Leaders’ Conference, although Dave was unable to attend due to recuperation from surgery, Lynn was able to address the group to update them about Bridges Beyond.
- Dave & Lynn were privileged to preach (Dave) and present a Bridges Beyond update (Lynn) at various churches and connected with many partners, friends and family.
Plans for 2019
- Our flight has been booked for January 15th, returning April 16th.
- Formalize a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between ADEPR and Bridges Beyond.
- We usually renew our visa in November as it expires every two years in December which is usually a painless procedure. As we were not in Rwanda this fall, our visa has expired. This means we need to get a letter of invitation from ADEPR and then renew it for 2 years while we are in Rwanda. Again, mostly painless, but a little more involved.
- Work with Pastors with whom we have previously worked in training their leaders—4 days each week.
- Train the Ambassadors Football Rwanda (AFR) national leadership team in Authentic Leadership
- Participate in training an additional 75 coaches.
- Prayer, prayer, prayer;
- for wisdom,
- for continuing and increasing favour with ADEPR leaders,
- for complete healing in Dave’s eye and our general good health,
- for energy, endurance, and perseverance to do the work as God calls us,
- relational connections,
- safe travels to and from Rwanda as well as driving throughout the country,
- the budget for the new year
- at this point we have need for finances for 2019
- ADEPR has been supplying a vehicle for the past 7 years but we have been asked to provide our own
- translator - We have made arrangements for Sylvie to be our translator and were excited about working with her. She has an excellent opportunity for a full time 3 month position which would go until the end of February. She will not be able to do both, so we will need to look for another translator – which is not an easy task.
We thank you for your prayers and interest in the work in Rwanda. Your financial support would also be greatly appreciated and will be a huge encouragement to us as we look ahead to a very full 4 months.
If you have any questions, please ask us, or if you want topartner now,please follow the link.
Dave & Lynn Kehler
Bridges Beyond International Ministries